It is impossible to enjoy the latest tech in Kenya

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forum Poster 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Forum Poster

I knew this was an issue, but I didn’t know it was this bad until I decided to get a new laptop.

Okay, say you’ve seen Apple unveil a new iPhone, you’re pretty sure you’ll be able to get it in Kenya in around 2 to 3 months’ time. Same happens for other high end smartphones.

With smartphones, it is kind of easy to get them in Kenya within a reasonable timeframe. And thanks to websites (that will most definitely disappoint you) like Avechi, you can pick up the latest LG, Xiaomi phones pretty soon after launch.

But this isn’t the case with other tech gadgets. If you see an awesome TV or Laptop launched and you want it in Kenya, you have two options,

• import it and pay extremely unfair taxes (you can bypass these taxes apparently if you trust any of the many websites now available), or
    • wait for years for it to be available in the market. Which we can bet won’t ever happen.

I don’t know if there are people who’ve tried importing a TV, it seems like a really big thing to worry about when it is shipping. But I know I’ve tried importing a laptop and it didn’t go too well when I realised that DHL would forward to me extra charges for importation and blah blah which would make it unreasonably priced in the end.

Xiaomi store has really cool tech for smart homes and etc, but getting the items in Kenya is really impossible.

Reply To: It is impossible to enjoy the latest tech in Kenya
Your information:

Close