Glovo Kenya, in partnership with Escade Business School, Ashoka Africa, and the Boston Consulting Group, has organised a competition for early-stage tech-based startups based in Kenya.
Glovo says the aim of the competition is to help accelerate the progress and success of the SME focused startups that are improving the business environment and efficiency levels.
To participate, a startup must not have raised more than USD 20,000 in funding. The competition will be in 2 stages:
- First stage is through an online submission
- Second state will be a physical event where the top 8 businesses get to pitch to a panel of judges.
Speaking during his visit to Kenya, Sacha Michaud, co-founder at Glovo said “Africa is a massive opportunity to invest in, and we at Glovo are committed to helping build the Kenyan ecosystem for digital services, and we recognise the needs of SMEs as a critical part of the community. We believe Kenya is a hub for technology and innovations, we look forward to seeing the competition unfold and most importantly to help accelerate SMEs in the country on their digitalization journey.”
The top eight selected projects from the first phase will be invited to compete for the final prizes in front of a jury of experts including the co-Founder of Glovo, the Managing Director of BCG Kenya, and other tech leaders.
The live pitch will be held on 29th April 2022 in Nairobi, Kenya. Invited to the panel of judges would be representatives from the Ministry of Industrialization, Trade and Enterprise Development and Information Communications, and Technology in Kenya.
There will be three prize winners – the 1st prize winners will receive a Mini Business Accelerator package through an all-expenses paid trip to visit Barcelona, Southern Europe’s leading tech hub. This will include:
- Meeting Top Executives -. They will meet top Glovo executives and have the opportunity to receive feedback and tips on their business as well as discuss any business opportunities and challenges.
- Business Support: A Visit to the Esade Business School Campus including sessions with experts from the ESADE Entrepreneurship Institute and the eWorks Accelerator program to have a review of the business plan and discuss with them the roadmap and go-to-market plan.
- Fast-Track Access to the Summer 2022 edition of the eWorks Accelerator program, which provides access to mentors, exclusive perks and tools and a final demo day with international investors (fully remote program).
The 2nd place winner will receive:
- Virtual session with Glovo top executives to get feedback and guidance on their business and to seek guidance on business opportunities and challenges.
- Fast-Track Access to the Summer 2022 edition of the eWorks Accelerator program.
- Pro bono consulting session with BCG Kenya consultants to help develop their business idea.
The 3rd place winner will get a Virtual session with Glovo top executives to get feedback and guidance on their business and to seek guidance on business opportunities and challenges. Also virtual consulting sessions with experts from the eWorks Accelerator, to get feedback and guidance on the business idea.