Last year on November 4th, I published news of the Mi Box S Android 9 BETA update for select users in select region. Well, the official stable update has rolled out, and users across the world are supposed to have received the update, including users in Kenya.
The update may not come as a notification, as you would expect. So check it manually. Go to Settings > About > System Update.
It is a 624MB update. And according to some users, there’s a ton of bugs. My update seems smooth. Will update any issues I may encounter through my Twitter handle.
The Mi Box S is undefeatedly the best Android TV box out there. For a little amount of money, you can make any TV with a HDMI port smart with the set-top box. It comes with 2GB RAM, 8GB storage, and supports 4K Streaming, features a Chromecast Ultra in-built, and Dobly Support.
With Android 9, the new changes are:
- Small visual tweaks – Launcher seems unchanged for me. New Volume slider.
- New Settings App – Very simple, and very different from the previous. Suggestions at the top, Network and Accounts Given priority.
- November 2019 Security Patch – Yes, that’s very dated now.
- Prime Video – now available pre-installed.
- Disney+ – This is in select markets, because I can’t see it in Kenya.
- New Setup Procedure – If you reset your box you’ll realise things are now new when setting up.
- There’s obviously other smaller changes I may never notice.