Safaricom has launched a promotion to reward business owners who use Lipa na M-Pesa and Pochi la Biashara services. The telco says more than 400,000 businesses now accept payments through Lipa na M-Pesa up from 170,000 in March 2020 with 2 million small businesses using Pochi La Biashara.
Under the promotion, all businesses under the two payment platforms will earn 1 point for every transaction of KES 50 and above that they receive or payout in the next 8 weeks. These points will qualify the owners to:
- Weekly draws where they stand to win one of the 128 tuktuks,
- Monthly draws where they could win one of the 16 Isuzu DMAX pickups, or the
- Grand draw where the could win one of the 8 FUSO Canters
The promotion will run across 8 regions including Nairobi, Coast, North Eastern, Eastern, Rift, Western, Nyanza and Mt. Kenya. Each of the regions will award 2 tuk-tuks every week, 1 pickup every 4 weeks and 1 truck at the grand finale.
In addition, all business owners on Pochi La Biashara can redeem their points in exchange for cash at KES. 1 per point. All business owners will also be rewarded with up to 6 minutes of talk time per day for the first three qualifying transactions.
“Medium-sized firms and small businesses form the backbone of Kenya’s economy accounting for a third of economic output and employing a majority of Kenyans. In recognition, we are celebrating and rewarding all business owners accepting payments on Lipa Na M-PESA and Pochi La Biashara through our Biashara ni Lipa Na M-PESA Promotion,” said Peter Ndegwa, CEO Safaricom.
Safaricom currently operates three M-Pesa solutions for businesses. These are:
- M-Pesa Business Till – enables business owners to use their Lipa Na M-PESA collections to make payments and to send money including to other M-PESA Tills such as when paying suppliers, to individuals such as when paying wages and much more. Business owners can equally withdraw to an agent or transfer funds to a bank account.
- M-Pesa Business Super App – provides entrepreneurs with a real-time overview of money coming in and payments made out of their business. They can also make payments through the Business Till feature on the super app.
- Pochi La Biashara – a solution aimed at small businesses in where owners accept payments through the M-PESA “Send Money” option. It enables business owners to separate their business collections from their personal funds.