The easiest, and cheapest way to get a Smart TV experience is by buying the Xiaomi Mi Box S. It is a set-top box that runs Android TV, and comes with Chromecast Ultra (4K) in-built. There’s nothing that comes close to it in terms of convenience. And you can use it literally anywhere provided you have a display with HDMI port. I’ve even carried it while traveling to use with Hotel TVs.
Well, the box has been running Android TV based on Android 8 Oreo, but that’s about to change given this Reddit Post. Some owners of the Mi Box S are currently receiving Android TV 9 Pie Beta update.
This means, in the next few weeks we shall be seeing an official roll-out of Android TV 9 Pie, once it get out of Beta testing.
Current beta testers have reported issues with casting, audio, and certain apps not working. This will hopefully be fixed before the official update arrives.
Here’s what’s new with Android TV 9 Pie on the Mix Box S:
- Reading and writing via USB;
- New settings menu interface;
- Audio via USB;
- Special access for apps, such as overlap;
- Amazon Prime video as system app
- New interface when pressing the volume button;
- Screenshot while holding on / off button pressed;
- Options to manually select audio formats, such as Dolby Digital plus and AAC